SKETCH HISTORY OF
The Penang Rifle Club
had its beginning as the Penang Police and Volunteer
Services Miniature Rifle Club. It was founded by a
group of rifle shooting enthusiasts on 26th January,
1954, and comprised members from the Malayan Royal
Naval Volunteer Reserve, the Federation of Malaya
Reconnaisance Corps, the Malayan Auxiliary Air
Force, the Police and Police Volunteer Reserve, and
the Civil Defence Corps. Membership was exclusive to
these Services, and the Objects of the Club were:
1. To foster the art of
marksmanship and teach the safe handling of firearms
at all times.
2. To provide
facilities for the training of marksmen who may wish
to participate in international shooting
3. To provide
opportunities for young people to practise
marksmanship so that they would be trained to serve
the country when and if called upon to do so.
The first Patron was the then
Resident Commissioner, Penang, Mr. R.P. Bingham and
the first President was the then Chief Police
Mr. H.B.J. Donaldson. The
first Hon. Secretary was Mr. D.K. Howell, and the
first Hon. Treasurer was Mr. W.G. Colebeck. Mr. W,G.
Cofebeck served for only
3 or 4 months and on
his retirement from service, Mr. Khaw Bian Huat took
over from him and served as Hon. Treasurer till
31.12.77 when he voluntarily retired "to make way
for a younger man to serve", and the present.
incumbent Mr. Cheong Yee Sin succeeded him.
During the year 1954,
the Club became affiliated to the National Smallbore
Rifle Association of the United Kingdom.
The Police Volunteer
Reserve Headquarters in MacAlister Road served as
temporary Club house, and by courtesy of the regular
Police the 25 yards Miniature Rifle Range at Peel
Avenue was placed at the Club's disposal on
condition that it accepted responsibility for
maintenance. There were only six firing paints for
Smallbore Rifle shooting and conditions were at
When the Chief Police Officer,
Mr. H.B.J. Donaldson
relinquished the Club Presidency in 1955, he was
succeeded by his successor Mr. P.H. O'Flynn who
remained President until he retired in 1958 when the
first non-expatriate Chief Police Officer, Mr. J.J.
Raj Sr., accepted office with Mr. R.J. Tolley as
Chairman of the Management Committee.
In 1955 the
membership rule was relaxed to permit licenced
holders of firearms to join, but they were not
eligible to hold office. Mr. R.J, Tolley succeeded
Mr. D.K. Howell as Hon. Secretary in 1956.
In 1957 the name of
the Club was changed to the Penang Rifle Club and
full membership was opened to the public. During the
year 1957 through the generosity of some members two
Semi-automatic .22 Pistols were acquired and Pistol
Shooting under N.S.R.A. Rules was introduced. Mr.
Tan Seng Keat succeeded Mr. R. J. Tolley as Hon.
Secretary in 1957 and continued as Hon. Secretary
until 1977 when he declined re-nomination and Mr.
Tan Leong Lay the present incumbent succeeded him.
In 1964 the Club
became affiliated to the National Shooting
Association of Malaysia and henceforth Penang Rifle
Club members were eligible for selection to the
National Team in International Games in which
Shooting is one of the Events.